Wednesday 19 December 2007

34. Cultural barbarist

I must confess:maybe I am a cultural barbarian. By this I mean: old culture does not interest me much. I tried to boost enthousiasm some degree of enthousiasm while visiting the sacred Chinese Temples of Culture, I honestly did. But for instance the Great Palaces do not move me. I try of course but after a short while I observe myzelf being entrapped by the study of the many Chinese Visitors around me. Its people what I am interested in. And I wonder: who are you, where you from, are you happy, what is your struggle in life.
And I ask: how do you bridge the villagelife where you are from and the big city where you live. How do you manage the omnipresent change around you, that huge creative deconstruction of the old environment. How do you reconcile the past with the ever changing presence. How do you cope.
Its this enormous challenge of every Chinese person that interests me.

So I am hunting Chinese painters that express this battle raging in the hearts of my Chinese
brothers and sisters, a rage conceiled by 1000 year old gentle and kind behavior.
I did not find many painters that moved me. But I am in the beginning of my query.

No comments: