Saturday 26 May 2007

13 the Yellow Danger may 21 2007 to the air

13 The transfer to Schiphol really was like an oyster. Lying in the back of MB limousine I felt the
soft leather pressing my limbs, cool and gentle, like the aroma of lavendel. 14oo hs. hazy. The only living beings hitting me: the ever expanding yellow flowers that are in the process of invading Holland. Yes, a war is going on in the Netherlands. It really amazes me that CNN does not cover this item. Ik know of course of that famous movie THE BIRDS, based on a shor short story of Daphne du Maurier. How the nice birds surrounding us transform in serial killers. And sure I am aware of the growing multitude of movies about small germs, viruses, are menacing the future of mankind. So I consider the complete negligence of the Yellow Menace a gross error. At first I didnt discern the danger myself. But after the first awareness I couldnt avoid it
anymore. Wherever I looked I saw them: the Yellow Flowers. They amassed along the streets
in the polder, gatecrashing into the nice and neat dutch gardens. They jumped over ditches and
invaded the imaculate grasslands yellowing the green and soon overpowering that colour that rightly is called grassgreen. Wherever you look, you will discover the small yellow pioneers waiting for their chance and yes after a couple of days a lot of friends proved to join them.
So I asked my self: who are they. First I bought a book on wild west european flowers. I studied the reader Digest book, but couldnt find it. Even after i carefully determinated one of those sweet ennemies...long stem...a parapluie of little flowers together forming the total. Then I
started to ask persons to give me an advice: More than 12 one morning, but they couldnt give
a name even if those flowers started hindering them to enter the carport. While driving to Zaltstad, the capital of my life I stopped my car regularly to question people who had a polderlike appearance: a man with a black dog tied to a rope, the lady dumping catalogues in the
village postboxes. Even a policeman. They laughed, they smiled, but they said no. At home
I asked Marga, who is helping us out.
" I know,' she said,' we call this "herk" ?"
" What does herk mean?"
"weeds!"
" My God Marga, there are 1000 kinds of weed!"
" Oh sorry."
At the end of my patience I phoned Bokke N, formerly a community leader and responsible for
maintaining the roads and the grounds around them.
" Its Koolzaad!"
Koolzaad. Anne also new, but now with two witnesses I accpeted the namenow: koolzaad.
Yes, Bokke said, in my days as a community manager I decided to sow them: they look so beautiful in the landscape. I agree but i did not tell him he probably is the auctor of a real big
crisis in The netherlands.
Though fresh and energizing and of the real prime yellow, these nice koolzaadflowers
are taking over Holland. There is a huge conflict within the Government. In a recent crisis
meeting at the Palace, the minster of defence, defended his move to bring into the air severlal squadrons of helicopters and F 16's to destroy the yellow danger. he was supported by the
Agricultural ministry. The Minister of Economical Affairs wants to save the flowers, because they form the basis for bio diesel but is opposed by the Ecological department. the people
there believe that real nature now has come to earth. Drunk a lot of champagne.
But nothing happened and the talks are going on. So the koolzaad survives and brightens my mind while I am driving at te the airport, because the layers and layers of these flowers with
their imperial colours are the only ones in that clayish landscape that move me and freshen my mind. I am off to China for the seventh time. And I feel like it.

No comments: